Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gardens, Alligators and Turtles, Oh My!

During my vacation this week, David and I decided to visit Myrtle Beach to see Brookgreen Gardens and an alligator preserve called “Alligator Adventure.”  Well, David decided, actually.  I had never heard of either place.  Since Myrtle Beach is nothing more than a day-trip away, I decided we’d go… and I’m glad I did!

We first visited Brookgreen Gardens.  If you’re the kind of person who enjoys gardens with sculptures placed throughout, this is definitely the place for you!  I put the pictures from this trip on my facebook page for those interested.  The grounds were beautiful, and everyone we actually came in contact with were very friendly.  Mind you, I would highly recommend going in the cooler months, since the sun was hot enough to scald the Devil when we were there!
There is also a domestic zoo attached to the gardens as well.  Apparently, this place was a plantation at some point in its history, and they have various farm animals on display for visitors to see.  While visiting the zoo section we stopped at the horse stable, which had three horses taking it easy on a hot day.  One horse in particular was standing outside the barn eating hay, and stopped long enough to stare at me.  When I tried to coax the horse to come closer so I could get a picture, he actually had the nerve to turn around with his tail end pointed right at me and crapped in my general direction!  Screaming at David to come here to take a look at the absolute nerve of this beast, he calmly said, “You know, that isn’t a horse, it’s a mule.”

Stands to reason, I suppose.
After we left Brookgreen Gardens we went to this place called “Alligator Adventure,” which could best be described as a small zoo catering to alligators.  Of course, they had a few other animals as well (lemurs, fruit bats, birds, turtles, even a tiger).  The most memorable part of this exhibit happened when David went into the reptile house.  Now, anyone who knows me at all knows that I’m not going ANYWHERE near a snake.  So naturally, I was not about to go in there!  While sitting outside waiting for him, I kept hearing this loud frog making a “gibbet” sound, and decided to check it out.  I walked around the corner of the reptile house, only to be met with two large turtles in the middle of copulating like rabbits!  Well, at least they had the decency to go around the building.

All in all, it was a good day away from work.  Mind you, by the time I got home I was sunburned to a crisp!  I don’t know why it didn’t dawn on me that I would be outside, in the sun, in extremely hot weather for most of the day.  But there I was, looking red as a beet and begging to get home to sunburn spray.  So that’s the news from my end of world, as I know it… how about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment